

Lambda Alliance Meeting Minutes 2/11/08

I. Exec Reports

Alec: Lambda Alliance co-sponsoring event Senator Widen from Oregon. Good networking and they will keep us in line with that. Can each constituent group send Alec a list of their email addresses (who is on the board). If phone numbers exist, good, otherwise please send them to me. Emails to interfraternities council to collaborate with them to eliminate homophobia.

Emanuel: Would also like group info and internal affairs be directed to him.

Dennie: Tomorrow night Dennie will be meeting with leaders of minority council to see how lambda can get involved. Dinner Wed night with Vice Provost. Then next week dinner on Wednesday.

II. Constituent Group Reports

Anna: QSA is having GBM 8 PM at Center. Questioning night on wed at 9:15. Christine is having advocacy meeting at 8:30 at the center. Pride Game meeting next Thursday the 21st at 8 PM at the LGBT Center (Ninah will be helping out). Generally working on ideas of what to do over the next couple of months as well as QPenn stuff. Alec suggested emailing house deans to get the word out.

Cynthia: Keith did it last year so should be list for all deans.

Emanuel: I have DB too at center.

Francesca: QCF has meeting next Tuesday.

Clarence: QPOC is having a GBM this week. Basic topic is LGBT families and communities. Considering launching a publicity campaign that will work with other organizations. More info to come. Also trying to host an out-Muslim middle eastern woman to speak. Still working to find a space large enough. May need to partner with a department at Penn.

Alec: Does the speaker require an honorarium.

Clarence: No honorarium required since part of equality forum. She's drawn over 800 people. Probably draw between 50 and 75 Penn people and the rest Philadelphia (up to 250 people).

Alex: Wharton Alliance will be having fewer corporate events this semester, so they are trying to branch out and be more social to meet with more exec boards with lambda groups. Social mixer. Wharton Alliance working with PennGALA to have possible mentoring/networking dinners. Here are a number of surveys to give back to specific board meetings. Fill out and get back to us at next Lambda Meeting.

Ben: For JBaGeL had NUJLS meeting past weekend. Jacob Staub on Feb 22nd.

Yana: NUJLS conference incredible. Learned a lot about how to incorporate Gender Equality into our group. Maybe changing name to be more inclusive.

Michael: ALLIES had Freedom to Marry Day. Had event today which went well.

Yana: PATH is launching a new campaign which is an awareness campaign to be open and gay. Working with Student Athletic Activities Council.

III. Old Business

A. UA Blood Proposal

Kevin: UA exec rejected our proposal, giving us reasons for no tangible goals. Took this last march to university who brought in one guy to rebut what lambda was saying. He interpreted the FDA policy, and UA said they dealt with it. This is an us vs. them situation which exec didn't want to do. We didn't like this, so we took this to the UA steering committee, and we initially went with the intent of getting feedback on proposal, and then learned that the UA Steering Committee can set the UA's agenda. In a sense we could have gotten the UA Steering Committee to override Exec's veto. It got very hostile against Exec, and it was most of the UA's first time at the meeting, and a lot of people were very upset. Good for us! Obviously support and approval maybe not for the policy but maybe that it should be heard in a public forum. After that we got called/emailed from a lot of UA members. This new version is based off of that. We were told in the UA Steering that a lot of people didn't get the fact that we weren't banning the Red Cross from campus. People felt if we play down the science estimate, they don't want to go against the "expert of the university council." Play down the science and play up the discrimination. That's good but the argument rests with the science. So we needed to merge the two to not make it science and show the discrimination. Citing other precedents of other universities and the ROTC thing in here will show them about the discrimination aspect more.

Alec: With the constituent groups approval we'll send them back to Exec, and if they don't allow it then we'll bring it back and figure something else out.

Dennie: Any discussion/questions/concerns on this issue.

Kevin: *Gives quick background on blood issue*.

Dennie: All approve (VOTES IN FROM ALL GROUPS).

Kevin: Will email Matt information to send out. Also need to put in an extended equal action nondiscrimination policy—tangible change

B. QPenn

Anna: QBall might be moved to Thursday night if we can't find a venue. Other than that things are going well. Also going to have a BI event. Also working to get SAC to help out with Pride Games, and hoping to get Franklin Field.

Cynthia: If you guys want to generate more interest in QPenn now that we're back from winter break, we really need to get people excited for this. Get people involved.

Anna: Send out any announcement to the labboards email to get people thinking about it. Send out link to the board so they know when and where.

Kevin: Who's the speaker?

Anna: Between Dan Savage and Carson Kressley (Queer Eye). Malek is pretty close in figuring it out.

IV. New Business
A. Committee on Policy

Alec: Want to set up a consulting committee to involve the constituent groups to map out the policies they want. Not like a board meeting, but a way that people can be involved with policy. Two people from each group on a list serv. Need to get the O.K. to go to UA to be sure that we can consult with people on the general policy direction of the alliance. This is an attempt to broaden communication. Naturally that it's a new turn, Alec would like to set up an initial meeting asap. Thinktank on Lambda Alliance policy. Two things:

- a. All groups need to nominate somebody with their contact details by tonight.
- b. Start looking to next week to have a meeting.

Yana: How often meeting?

Alec: Once a month probably, unless there's a war going on.

Alex: Is Lambda requiring that of us? Wharton Alliance board is small.

Alec: Not necessary. Two distinct pieces of this process. Just have a list serv of people who can be contacted for the O.K. and the second is a list serv to talk about a thinktank. Ideally the person involved in policy should be the person on the O.K. list.

Dennie: Are you planning on restricting this committee? Or is someone not on the board, can they get involved.

Alec: Broader policy meeting is no restriction. Only the emergency contact list.

B. Ivy Council

Alec: I met with head of Ivy Council. Gives background on Ivy Council. What I thought was, putting together an Ivy League LGBT conference which fell apart, so hopefully we can piggy back on the spring symposium. That way we can set topics for discussion of our conference. To all types of policy, etc. Reg fee is capped at \$20 a person. Going forward on this, I wanted to see if the constituent groups can go back to their groups to see if leadership is interested in doing this. We need topics for breakout groups and discussion groups. With your permission, I'll send

out emails on your behalf to all LGBT leaders of other schools, invite them, and get them to work on submission of things. Hopefully we can get SAC or the LGBT center to fund us.

Cynthia: Get in with Tito to see what he was thinking of doing in the Fall. He made big contact with them. Meet with him to see what to do.

Clarence: Alec, what are you hoping to achieve via this. And are you trying to create an annual program.

Alec: If successful we'd like to make this part of Fall and Spring Symposia. There's a lot we can learn from other schools. Advocating issues with other administrators. And networking with other LGBT leaders is a good thing.

C. University Council Application

Dennie: Alec, Kevin, Cynthia, and I are working with the University Council in which they interview, etc. Working on application right now. We hold a university council seat now and we hope to get one next year. You never know what the NEC is going to do. We're preparing for that. We're taking care of that now. If you have any questions let us know.

Kevin: Part of the application is talking about what our advocacy priorities are. What are they? Can you tell the group what some of them are.

Alec: We've got a long list: Blood Donation Proposal, Fighting Athletic Homophobia, Fighting Greek Homophobia, Introducing Sexuality Majors, Increasing Faculty Diversity, Improving Admissions Procedures, Diversifying Admissions Pool.

Dennie: Traditionally we say Admissions, Athletics, Academics. We want something catchy. If you have any ideas, let us know.

Kevin: It's a really grueling process, and Lambda has put in a lot of work already. Keep that in mind. It's very stressful. But constituent groups, know it's a big deal.

V. Open Forum

Alex: If there's no more pressing issues, what kind of proposals would you bring about the Greek system?

Alec: Three ideas:

- a. Diversity Training. It won't do a lot, but it will make press. It's a good starting point to put on the relationship. At least have a symbolic thing.
- b. Talk to Out LGBT Members of Frats and Sororities. Find ways in which we can integrate an expression of their identity in the milieu of the frat life. Tolerant force of LGBT members in their communities
- c. Gay Man's Guide to Frats.

Ben: Maybe have a discussion and break them down and have a discussion rather than a symbolic training.

Alec: Problem with diversity training is that the people who are in most need of it appreciate it the least. Frats will hate all mandates we put in. Even if the panhellenic and interfraternity council sign it they won't like it.

Cynthia: Jimmy wanted to push this and Cynthia and Jimmy met with OFSA and IFC. They were keen on the idea on having some sort of training on offering it to all groups. A lot of different ways to approach this.

Alec: It's just an idea. But there's homophobia that exists. So we'll try to combat it.

Matt: Will diversity training be necessary?

Alec: Building on social trends and move with them. It's first step stuff. Nothing active harms flowing from this proposal.

Dennie: Obviously we need your consent to go through with this.

Baylee: What are we actually doing. Why do we need this diversity training if society is going in this trend.

Kevin: There's no decision made about what is happening. This is all preliminary. I don't think we should take into account what the brunt of our thing is. That's not completely the only thing we're doing for it. It will do something. When we talk with the IFC and OFSA, they are very supportive. It will do something.

Clarence: Two questions: What precisely do you plan on covering? Secondly, who usually stands in the room with OFSA and IFC.

Cynthia: Save more of the dialogue for later.

Alec: I will talk with them, create a comprehensive report, and we will continue a discussion on this idea.

Dennie: Anything else other than fraternity stuff.

Baylee: What does putting in a lot of work with Univeristy Council seat mean?

Dennie: A lot of work goes into the actual application. You need to be very careful with what you say, and then there's actually preparing for the interview. We have to go over every single situation with what's going on in the interview. It's the four of us sitting together, and the entire NEC grilling us back and forth. It's a big ordeal. It's physically and emotionally draining. Preparing for the interview you need to think of every single scenario you can think of. You need to have a response for everything.

Kevin: NEC is worst body to allocate these seats. So trying to explain and make them understand all of our issues is really difficult.

Tony: UMC decided to make a sarcastic statement so that they're not on the offense. The punch bowl came out with an issue on diversity and it bashed everyone. Some people took it offensively.

Kevin: I counseled the UMC that they should do it in a way that is in the spirit of the Punch Bowl, in which they would report back with. But do it in a way that doesn't make minorities really mad.

Alec: Worst thing is if Lambda Alliance says anything on this. Just let it slip by is probably the best move.

Baylee: I don't think we should respond. It was funny.

Tony: I'm part of Active Minds (mental health advocacy group) to see if people want to work with us for some event. We will have several events. Need an LGBT student willing talk on issues..

Kristine: (advocacy chair of QSA) We would like to do something if they are interested. Minority/Majority different sectors of oppression. Bring it up with them for more information.